Move In Day
Well, it finally came. The BIG day!!!! The new chicken coop (or rather, Chicken Palace) was finished. Jay and I were definitely more excited about this then the chickens. We thought for sure that they would jump for joy! Well, we should have known - chickens do NOT like change.
They loved the outdoor coop, which is where we moved them into, early evening on Tuesday. They had lots of room, new grass, and even an outdoor roost. Things were looking good!
Then nighttime came. Yeah, that wasn't so smooth. Actually, it was quite the debacle. Some of the chickens didn't realize that there was an indoor portion to the new coop. They figured "well this stinks! It's going to be a cold winter" and got up on the outdoor roost and tried to make the best of it. Jay shooed them into the indoor coop and that's when things went awry.
There was a lot of chaos and a lot of chatter, and it certainly was NOT happy chatter. There were words being thrown around that made me glad I don't truly understand chicken chatter. Jay and I went into the house to have dinner and to let them settle down. When I went out to check in after dinner, Clyde and 2 of the female barred rocks were on top of the nesting boxes. They kept sliding down them, then walking back up....sliding down....walking back up....well, you get the idea.
So, in my brilliance, I thought I could help. I moved the first female - a lot of yelling, but she made it to the roost. I moved the second female - same thing. Then it was Clyde's turn. By the time I got to the roost he had gotten his wings free and they flapped like crazy. This, in turn, knocked the smallest Araucana (Kathy) off the roost and onto the floor where she lay lifeless. I thought for sure he broke her neck.
Thank god she was ok, just had the breath knocked out of her. It took her awhile, but I got her settled and Clyde had jumped back down off the roost. It was too high. He was a nervous wreck. Pacing, whining, pacing, whining. I had to call in the emergency roost repair team (team Jay). After all, this was an emergency! My "kids" had to sleep their first night in the new palace!
Jay got the tools out (that got EVERYONE talking) and a few screws, wood and cleats later, Clyde had a "make-do" shorter roost for the evening. Now we could ALL get some sleep. The next day Jay fixed the roost and gave them 2 roosts, both at different heights, and everyone was happy tonight. All is well.